Unicommerce Interview Process – Software Engineer – Digvijay Sharma
Digvijay Sharma, Software Engineer, Unicommerce shares his experience in this brief interview.
Please tell us about your Interview procedure at Unicommerce (Short listing procedure, GDs, Interviews).
First, there is an Aptitude Round of 1-1.5hrs duration which contains puzzle questions and strong maths questions from Geometry, Permutations And Combinations,etc. and some puzzle questions are really hard. The shortlist is announced soon of around 15 students.
Next, there is a round of Coding using Paper-and-pen which contains 1 fixed question of Dynamic Programming and 1 ques based on linked lists,graphs,etc. The shortlist consists of 10 students shortly.
Next, there will be 3 rounds of interviews. 2 Technical Interviews and 1 HR Interview. The Technical Interviews consist of those questions which you have not been able to solve during your aptitude exam. Second interview consists of coding basic questions on advanced data structures like try,etc. HR Interview does not account for much if the technical interviews go really well.
They shortlist based on excellent aptitude skills and programming knowledge moslty.They like to see what is the process of your mind when you attempt certain problems they give to you. Any projects of programming on your Resume should be prepared beforehand to explain.
What all internships and projects you did while? How did you get them?
“Air Attack” game on Atmega 16 Microprocessor IC Chip. Period : Dec 2014 –Jan 2 015
- Designed a game-box of an airplane shooting game using Embedded Programming for IIT Kanpur Fest.
- Fabricated 15×8 LED Matrix Display alongwith a tilt sensing Joystick using earrings mounting a shoot button.
- Built with a Boss Trigger Feature having finite health and added difficulty levels.
Winter Training Project Period : Nov 2014 –Dec 2 014
- Project involved designing and learning the complete fabrication of Printed Circuit Board (PCB).
- Soldering and working in a team of 4 while dividing the steps involved in a PCB design.
“The Countdown Game” on MSP430 Microcontroller Chip Family. Period : Dec 2014 – Feb 2014
- Part of a 2 member team selected to undertake a embedded project using Code Composer Studio.
- Involved intensive study of Microcontroller MSP430 data sheet and expertise in Embedded Programming.
- Implemented Algorithms on Electronic Circuits on breadboard as well as fabricated PCB.
“Defuse The BOMB” game on 8085 Microprocessor IC Chip. Period : Feb 2014 –Apr 2 014
- Project involved designing and complete fabrication of a bomb game PCB using Embedded Programming.
- Learnt EAGLE schematic layout editor for electronic circuits fabrication thoroughly.
- Carried out thorough use of 8085 Simulator and 8085 Programming Unit.
- Flappy Bird
- Triple Jump
Summer Intern, Engineering India Limited, New Delhi (4 weeks: June 2015 – July 2015)
Which is one of the leading design and engineering organizations in South Asia.
- Worked with the lead Technical Team of Instrumentation and Control Division under a mentor.
- Assignment titled “Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition System(SCADA)” & “Distributed Control Systems”.
What makes this company different from other firms?
This Firm is very different from all others firms in its shortlisting procedure and they may go so far as to say that too many programming languages are not even essential instead a strong aptitude towards programming is what is actually required for the firm as they teach their own languages and your aptitude will only help anyway.
This firm is for those programming students who are very good at math also and puzzles and can solve tough problems under pressure during the interviews.
How did you prepare for the placement season? What advice would you give to your juniors regarding the placement season?
Well, the hardest part is to decide what way you are going and most of the guys are not even till the end where they belong. So, the preparation for the placement season should begin 1 month prior to placement during holidays. The coding should encompass the following subtopics for ready placement In every good programming firm.
- C/C++ Language
- Dynamic Programming
- Greedy Algos and other tree /grapgh algos
- Daily competitive programming on either of codechef/codejam/hackathon.
- Projects/Games on C/C++
What’s the role of academics in getting a good placement at NSIT?
Academics don’t play a really strong role in decision for hiring but a fair percentage of 70 might be put at cutoff during the first round. For COE/IT , the academics help out a lot as DP problems are already very comfortable.
Elaborate on the type of work in this kind of role?
The type of work is working on programming at the backend for inventory management of Snapdeal. There will be numerous languages all new for programming which they will teach and the pay is really good against the amount of work even for a startup.
What growth opportunities does this company provide? Is there any global exposure?
Global Exposure is not much here. The job might be excluded to India in some cases. But there are trips for recreation though. But there is a lot of freedom and you undertake your own project here. So, there are wide growth opportunities this being a startup.
Would you like to give any general advice to your juniors?
Don’t take pressure even if you don’t get placement during first 30 companies. Instead learn what you did wrong and keep on working hard. The disappointment is what causes the disappointment. This is for a fact for placements.